IT Today: Lower IT Management Costs, Ruminations on the State of Greybeard IT, Gigabyte's New Supercomputing Server
Tom's IT ProTom's IT Pro: Four Roads to Lowering IT Management Costs, More Ruminations on the State of Greybeard IT, Gigabyte Releases New Supercomputing Server, Software Licensing in a Virtual World, Enterprise Unified Communications, Multi-Factor Authentication, and more.
Pursue these strategic paths to free up maintenance resources and apply them in more effective areas that benefit the organization’s long-term goals.
IT training and certification guru Ed Tittel advises those over 55 looking for work in IT.
Announces new supercomputing server, the GS-R22PHL, designed with high performance and energy efficiency in mind.
While virtualization is supposed to help simplify IT environments, there is one aspect that virtualization can complicate – licensing.
More securely protect business and personal apps and data.
PBXs are good systems. But UC suites can do a lot more for less.
What unified communications means and why it’s necessary.
Network administrators can streamline the troubleshooting process by deploying automated monitoring systems.
Consider the orders of magnitude (and sheer manufacturing prowess) required to morph the very first 4-Bit microprocessors into the multicore powerhouses we use today.
BlackBerry training hard to get back into fighting shape so it can challenge current heavyweight smartphone and tablet champs Google and Apple.
Careful planning across all involved interest groups will deliver a straight forward strategy to adopt BYOD.
Plans to open source Ethernet switches in an effort to gain an edge in an era of software defined networking and open source software.
IBM's Jeopardy-winning supercomputer to become the basis of a series of revenue-generating products.
Our favorite PETs to maintain security and privacy online.
As with an IT project, you cut corners in a UC deployment at your own peril. So be careful.
A visual walk through the history of Intel processors from the early 1970s to today.
This article outlines some of the external private cloud vendor options available today.
Recent IT Slide Shows
- Slideshow: Dos and Don’ts of IT Product and Services Evaluation
- Slideshow: The History of the Desktop Operating System
- Slideshow: Buyer’s Guide - WAN Optimization Appliances
- Slideshow: Glad to Know You! Soon to Become Irrelevant Technologies
- Illustrated Guide to Managing Business Data in Social Networks
- Slideshow: Ten of the Worst Security Breaches of All Time
- Slideshow: CES 2013 - Noteworthy Announcements for the Enterprise
- Slideshow: Buyer's Guide - Application Optimization Appliances
- Slideshow: Hottest IT Certifications for 2013
- Slideshow: Intel Processors Over the Years
- Slideshow: Rugged Tech for the Enterprise
- Slideshow: The Ten Most Influential People in IT
- Slideshow: Essential Open Source Tools for the System Administrator
- Slideshow: Top Ten Major Security Breaches of 2012
- An Illustrated Guide to Making the Move to 10 Gigabit Ethernet
- Slideshow: Essential Proprietary Network Admin Tools
- Slideshow: Top Paying Technology Jobs by Position
- An Illustrated History of Hacking Through The Years
- Slideshow: Gadgets for the System Administrator's Toolbox
- Slideshow: A Guide to Trading Your Laptop for a Tablet
- Cloud Acronyms Illustrated: SaaS, PaaS, IaaS, and More
- An Illustrated History of Hacking Through The Years
- Slideshow: Horrifying Data Center Disasters
- Slideshow: Top 10 Cities for IT Jobs
More Recent IT News
- Nvidia Unveils New Range of Pro Graphics Cards for Workstations
- Oracle Launches Next-Gen Database Appliance X3-2I
- BM PureFlex Server Manufacturing Moving from Rochester to Mexico
- Microsoft Acquires Cloud Startup MetricsHub
- Smartphones and Tablets Beat Personal Computers in Market Share
- Oracle Releases Enterprise Healthcare Analytics Cloud Service
- VMware, Dell Collaborate on Converged Infrastructure for Reinvented VDI
- Centrify Launches BYOD Identity Management, Partners with Samsung
- Dell Launches Enterprise-Grade Firewalls
- Two More Java Vulnerabilities Found
- IBM Introduces New Enterprise Mobile Platform
- Veeam Offers Extended Support for vCloud Director
- Tilera Debuts 72-Core 64-bit SoC
- RSA SecurID for Two-Factor Security: A Primer
- VCE Expands Vblock Cloud Infrastructure Systems
- HP Builds Up Virtualization Offerings with New Server, Storage Hardware
- Skype Integration for Outlook Lync ... and Xbox?
- Survey Says IT Underestimates Threat of APT Attacks
- iOS Bug Impacts Exchange Service
- HP Toys With Selling Android-based Mobile Devices
- Amazon Web Services Redshift Now Available To All Customers
- DARPA Pours $3M in Python Big Data Project
- DDoS, BYOD Creating Security Challenges for IT
- Forrester's 15 Emerging Tech Trends Highlight Infrastructure Platforms
- MariaDB Set To Overthrow MySQL's Linux Reign
- Microsoft Releases 52 Patches
More Recent IT Features, Videos & Blogs
- Video: The Business Case for Cloud Computing
- Sponsored: Blade Servers Cut IT Costs
- A Crash Course in Network Performance Monitoring: A Manager’s Guide
- VIDEO: Threat Prevention: Exactly What Is It?
- Ultramobility Isn't Just for Mobile Devices
- Moving From SQL Server to Windows Azure SQL
- Tools Are Not Enough: Driving Factors for Software License Management
- VIDEO: Enterprise Data Encryption Explained
- Sponsored: Scaling Out with Converged Networks
- VIDEO: Understanding Unified Communications
- Software License Management: ABC, 123, Do-Re-Me
- Evaluating IT Certification Programs: Great, Modest, and Negligible
- VIDEO: Cloud Services: No Buzz, No Bull
- VLANs, Subnets and Confusion – How to Monitor Complex Networks
- Planning Your Unified Communications Deployment
- VIDEO: How Secure Are Your Mobile Devices?
- Electronic Medical Record Spotlight: GE Healthcare's CPS
- OWASP's Role in Application Security: An Interview with WhiteHat VP Jim Manico
- VIDEO: Big Data, Big Hardware, Big Software
- Cartoon: King on IT: Yahoo! Employees Adjusting to New Telecommuting Policy
- VIDEO: Application Optimization Tune Ups Network Performance
- GIS Career Opportunities for Healthcare IT Pros
- DNA: The Newest Data-Storage Medium?
- Secrets to a Successful Healthcare IT Career
- IT Buyer’s Guide: Electronic Health Records
- Top 5 IT Certifications in Healthcare
- Getting Started with the Cloud: IBM SmartCloud Enterprise
- Business Intelligence: Time to Analyze Everything?
- Cartoon: King on IT – Tech Companies Have Eyes for Whom at the Dance?
- The Stuxnet Lesson: Paying Attention to Dark Data Worth Your While
- With Re-Launch Can Blackberry Make THE Comeback?
- Top Paying IT Certifications of 2013
James Alan MillerJames Alan Miller is Managing Editor of Tom's IT Pro. He is a veteran technology journalist with over seventeen years of experience creating and developing magazine and online content. Founding editor of numerous business and enterprise computing sites at the internet.com network, James headed up the After Hours section at PC Magazine, as well as hardware and software sections of various Windows publications.
See here for all Tom's IT Pro articles written by James.