IT Today: BYOD Challenges Defined, Don’t Cut UC Cutting Corners, Detecting Application Bottlenecks
Tom's IT ProTom's IT Pro: BYOD Integration Challenges, Mellanox to Open Source Ethernet Switches, Jeopardy, IBM and Watson as a Service, Intel Processors Over the Years, VIDEO: Increase Your Internet Privacy With PETS, Unified Communications: Beware of Cutting Corners, and more.
Careful planning across all involved interest groups will deliver a straight forward strategy to adopt BYOD.
Plans to open source Ethernet switches in an effort to gain an edge in an era of software defined networking and open source software.
IBM's Jeopardy-winning supercomputer to become the basis of a series of revenue-generating products.
Our favorite PETs to maintain security and privacy online.
As with an IT project, you cut corners in a UC deployment at your own peril. So be careful.
A visual walk through the history of Intel processors from the early 1970s to today.
BlackBerry training hard to get back into fighting shape so it can challenge current heavyweight smartphone and tablet champs Google and Apple.
Consider the orders of magnitude (and sheer manufacturing prowess) required to morph the very first 4-Bit microprocessors into the multicore powerhouses we use today.
This article outlines some of the external private cloud vendor options available today.
What business processes you should and shouldn't place up in the cloud.
IDC study finds a high correlation between blade platform adoption and lower per user infrastructure costs among a wide range of businesses.
Networks are the backbone of IT service delivery. So when the network experiences problems, application performance can suffer.
We look at three sets of threat prevention products that will protect your environment at different levels of enterprise IT.
The benefits of taking unified communications mobile.
Windows Azure SQL Database an appealing cloud-based alternative for those more concerned with business processes and applications than maintaining backend storage systems.
Make better better decisions by following these basic steps for objective IT product evaluations.
More Recent IT News
- IBM PureFlex Server Manufacturing Moving from Rochester to Mexico
- Microsoft Acquires Cloud Startup MetricsHub
- Smartphones and Tablets Beat Personal Computers in Market Share
- Oracle Releases Enterprise Healthcare Analytics Cloud Service
- VMware, Dell Collaborate on Converged Infrastructure for Reinvented VDI
- Centrify Launches BYOD Identity Management, Partners with Samsung
- Dell Launches Enterprise-Grade Firewalls
- Two More Java Vulnerabilities Found
- IBM Introduces New Enterprise Mobile Platform
- Veeam Offers Extended Support for vCloud Director
- Tilera Debuts 72-Core 64-bit SoC
- RSA SecurID for Two-Factor Security: A Primer
- VCE Expands Vblock Cloud Infrastructure Systems
- HP Builds Up Virtualization Offerings with New Server, Storage Hardware
- Skype Integration for Outlook Lync ... and Xbox?
- Survey Says IT Underestimates Threat of APT Attacks
- iOS Bug Impacts Exchange Service
- HP Toys With Selling Android-based Mobile Devices
- Amazon Web Services Redshift Now Available To All Customers
- DARPA Pours $3M in Python Big Data Project
- DDoS, BYOD Creating Security Challenges for IT
- Forrester's 15 Emerging Tech Trends Highlight Infrastructure Platforms
- MariaDB Set To Overthrow MySQL's Linux Reign
- Microsoft Releases 52 Patches
Get the right people, processes and procedures in place to enjoy continual success with your software compliance initiative.
Don't let your organization become a cautionary tale about poor encryption policy.
Networks need to be simpler, flatter and more capable of meeting the high-scale demands of dynamic workloads.
Learn about Unified Communications and training opportunities in this growing area so vital to business success.
Software and hardware are to technology as yin and yang are to balance. Neither can operate without the other. However, tracking software can be a much more complicated endeavor.
The latest in Nvidia's Quadro line of professional graphics products will offer "unprecedented workstation performance and capabilities."
Oracle Database Appliance now has a beefier, better-performing little brother in the hardware-software combination category.
IT training guru Ed Tittel discloses how he evaluates certification programs to decide if he thinks they’re worth covering in general or in particular.
Recent IT Slide Shows
- Slideshow: The History of the Desktop Operating System
- Slideshow: Buyer’s Guide - WAN Optimization Appliances
- Slideshow: Glad to Know You! Soon to Become Irrelevant Technologies
- Illustrated Guide to Managing Business Data in Social Networks
- Slideshow: Ten of the Worst Security Breaches of All Time
- Slideshow: CES 2013 - Noteworthy Announcements for the Enterprise
- Slideshow: Buyer's Guide - Application Optimization Appliances
- Slideshow: Hottest IT Certifications for 2013
- Slideshow: Intel Processors Over the Years
- Slideshow: Rugged Tech for the Enterprise
- Slideshow: The Ten Most Influential People in IT
- Slideshow: Essential Open Source Tools for the System Administrator
- Slideshow: Top Ten Major Security Breaches of 2012
- An Illustrated Guide to Making the Move to 10 Gigabit Ethernet
- Slideshow: Essential Proprietary Network Admin Tools
- Slideshow: Top Paying Technology Jobs by Position
- An Illustrated History of Hacking Through The Years
- Slideshow: Gadgets for the System Administrator's Toolbox
- Slideshow: A Guide to Trading Your Laptop for a Tablet
- Cloud Acronyms Illustrated: SaaS, PaaS, IaaS, and More
- An Illustrated History of Hacking Through The Years
- Slideshow: Horrifying Data Center Disasters
- Slideshow: Top 10 Cities for IT Jobs
More Recent IT Features & Blogs
- VIDEO: Cloud Services: No Buzz, No Bull
- VLANs, Subnets and Confusion – How to Monitor Complex Networks
- Planning Your Unified Communications Deployment
- VIDEO: How Secure Are Your Mobile Devices?
- Electronic Medical Record Spotlight: GE Healthcare's CPS
- OWASP's Role in Application Security: An Interview with WhiteHat VP Jim Manico
- VIDEO: Big Data, Big Hardware, Big Software
- Cartoon: King on IT: Yahoo! Employees Adjusting to New Telecommuting Policy
- VIDEO: Application Optimization Tune Ups Network Performance
- GIS Career Opportunities for Healthcare IT Pros
- DNA: The Newest Data-Storage Medium?
- Secrets to a Successful Healthcare IT Career
- IT Buyer’s Guide: Electronic Health Records
- Top 5 IT Certifications in Healthcare
- Getting Started with the Cloud: IBM SmartCloud Enterprise
- Business Intelligence: Time to Analyze Everything?
- Cartoon: King on IT – Tech Companies Have Eyes for Whom at the Dance?
- The Stuxnet Lesson: Paying Attention to Dark Data Worth Your While
- With Re-Launch Can Blackberry Make THE Comeback?
- Top Paying IT Certifications of 2013
- Retired IT Pro Reenters the Job Market
- Is the Public Cloud Safe?
- Swimming with Sharks in the IT Fish Tank
- Cartoon: King on IT – The Dell Buyout
- A Guide to Disaster Recovery in the Cloud
- VIDEO: Increase Security with Multi-Factor Authentication
- Getting Started with the Cloud: Rackspace Open Cloud
- Adult Education for IT Advancement: You Get Back What You Put In
- Cartoon: King on IT – Cybersecurity Job Anyone?
James Alan MillerJames Alan Miller is Managing Editor of Tom's IT Pro. He is a veteran technology journalist with over seventeen years of experience creating and developing magazine and online content. Founding editor of numerous business and enterprise computing sites at the internet.com network, James headed up the After Hours section at PC Magazine, as well as hardware and software sections of various Windows publications.
See here for all Tom's IT Pro articles written by James.