Management consulting firm Navint has released a whitepaper with the results of a brief cloud computing survey among its clients. According to Navint,
- 90 percent of respondents said they were achieved 100 percent of the cost savings cloud solutions promised
- 65 percent said that their cloud solutions had a significant impact on their process efficiency
- 80 percent said that cloud solutions provide competitive advantage
- 46 percent have established a dedicated budget for cloud computing
- 46 percent believe that the budget for public cloud computing will climb by more than 20 percent by 2014
Concerns remain, however, as CIOs said that "security" is their top concern when implementing cloud solutions, and data security and privacy are still the main challenges that keep cloud computing from greater adoption. There appears to be a solid base of doubt as CIOs "regard security guarantees and redundancy policies with guarded pessimism," Navint said.
Navint did not releases specifics on the survey base, such as participant count and the industries of the companies that respondent to the questions. The whitepaper can be accessed here.
Wolfgang Gruener is a contributor to Tom's IT Pro. He is currently principal analyst at Ndicio Research, a market analysis firm that focuses on cloud computing and disruptive technologies, and maintains the conceivablytech.com blog. An 18-year veteran in IT journalism and market research, he previously published TG Daily and was managing editor of Tom's Hardware news, which he grew from a link collection in the early 2000s into one of the most comprehensive and trusted technology news sources.
See here for all of Wolfgang's Tom's IT Pro articles.