Tom's IT ProToday On TIP: New Year, New Plans: Make an IT Career Self-Assessment, Oracle Acquires Acme Packetpay for $1.7 Billion, Sponsored: Converged Infrastructure Transforms IT, Slideshow: Glad to Know You! Soon to Become Irrelevant Technologies, and more.
Throwing solutions at a system because they have the word encryption in them, and are easy to implement, doesn’t always mean you’re actually better protecting sensitive information.
The right mix of reading, studying, and hands-on learning and experimentation will get you the knowledge you need to further career in IT.
Put yourself through an annual self-assessment to help figure out where you are, where you're going, and where you might like to get to IT career-wise
Businesses deploying converged infrastructure technologies in integrated solutions that more tightly align and even accelerate the value of information technology to help drive better business results.
We take a look at technologies whose days are numbered and are destined to become nostalgic memories of how we used to do things.
Consider the orders of magnitude (and sheer manufacturing prowess) required to morph the very first 4-Bit microprocessors into the multicore powerhouses we use today.
Here are the desktop computer's most significant milestones.
For many in IT it is not a question of whether to use cloud computing but which cloud service (or services) to use.
Hard-drive maker compensates for slow entry into the enterprise flash storage market.
Networks need to be simpler, flatter and more capable of meeting the high-scale demands of dynamic workloads.
Today’s increasingly online world also means that just as lots of training has become virtualized, so have many IT cert prep labs as well.
The iPad and iOS operating system is tightly integrated with social networks. Under Settings in iOS 6, there are sections specifically dedicated to Twitter and Facebook.
The top cloud projects share unique characteristics that point to a guideline on how avoid failure.
Munki, Simian, and Cauliflower Vest: Three open source tools to help IT pros manage Mac computers in the enterprise.
The cloud a key component of enterprises ability to gain unconstrained access to information and IT resources.
Today? No. Three to Five years from now? Yes.
As with most infrastructure changes, implementing MDM may not be easy or inexpensive. The benefits clearly outweigh the costs, however.
Converged storage controls explosive data growth while maintaining operational efficiency and simplicity.
More Recent IT Features & Blogs
Recent IT Slide Shows
More Recent IT News
- Record-Breaking Supercomputer Powered by Nvidia and Eurotech
- Oracle Acquires Acme Packetpay for $1.7 Billion
- Parallels Offers New Mac Integration in Microsoft SCCM
- Pentagon to Hire Thousands of IT Professionals to Boost Cybersecurity
- Gigabyte Announces Server and Workstation Motherboards
- Chinese Hackers Infiltrate The New York Times, Wall Street Journal’s Computer Systems
- Polycom Gets RealPresence Cloud Support with Meetrix Collaboration
- Puppet Labs and VMware’s New $30 Million Investment
- Cisco to Automate Network Optimization with Intucell’s SON Software
- Cisco Sheds Linksys, Greater Focus On Enterprise
- Western Digital Acquires Backup Company Arkeia
- Dell Quest Survey shows Worldwide Outlook on BYOD Strategies
- Microsoft Improves Hybrid Cloud Management
- Ace Computer Intros Raptor 7 Portable Computer Server
- HP Memo Confirms Layoffs and New Directions at Autonomy
- Tokenless, Two-Factor Authentication Coming To Google Apps, Office365, Salesforce
- iwNetworks Announces Second Gen SDN Switches
- Helium-Filled Enterprise HDDs Could Reach 6 TB Capacity
James Alan MillerJames Alan Miller is Managing Editor of Tom's IT Pro. He is a veteran technology journalist with over seventeen years of experience creating and developing magazine and online content. Founding editor of numerous business and enterprise computing sites at the internet.com network, James headed up the After Hours section at PC Magazine, as well as hardware and software sections of various Windows publications.
See here for all Tom's IT Pro articles written by James.
Recent IT VideosVIDEO: How Secure Are Your Mobile Devices?
Enterprise mobile devices are proliferating like rabbits in the spring. Rachel Rosmarin tells you how to keep them under control.
VIDEO: Big Data, Big Hardware, Big Software
As data grows so must the hardware, software and access tools to give it meaning.
VIDEO: Quick Look - Intel S2600CP Motherboard
A 3D fly-through of Intel's S2600CPVIDEO: Quick Look - Intel S2600IP Motherboard
A 3D fly-through of Intel's S2600IP motherboard.VIDEO: Data Center Convergence
Everything you need to know about the new data center.