Top 5 in Tech: Open Source and Hybrid Cloud
I had the chance to attend two tech events this week in Chicago -- Cloud Connect 2013 and Chicago's VMUG. It was a great chance to reconnect with IT pros, check out some vendors and learn from industry leaders. There was a lot of discussion around OpenStack. Cloud Connect even featured a StackWars panel, moderated by Alistair Croll (@acroll), where Matthew Lodge (VMware), Monty Taylor (HP) and Jim Anthony (Verizon) discussed the future of the enterprise cloud and how open source fits in.
There was also a good discussion on hybrid cloud strategy, at both VMUG and Cloud Connect. During his presentation at the VMUG meeting, Elias Khnaser (@ekhnaser) noted that private cloud is going away and is being replaced by hybrid approaches. Elias also predicts that the IT department is transitioning into a business driver and for cloud implementation to be successful, you must achieve business/IT alignment.
The two topics -- open source and hybrid cloud -- are also our main theme for today's top 5 in tech. In addition, we talk about innovation, advancements in wireless technology, business intelligence and how to future-proof your career with our roundup of the 5 best SysAdmin certs.
About the Author
Top 5 This Week:
- Red Hat: Open Hybrid Cloud bit.ly/OpenHybridCloud
- Platfora: BI is BS bit.ly/BIisBS
- Best SysAdmin Certs bit.ly/BestSysAdminCerts
- Wireless for All bit.ly/WirelessForAll
- Tweet of the Week bit.ly/SethRobinson via @sethdrobinson
More Tech Videos:
- AMD's HSA APU: CPU + GPU on One Chip
- Helium-Filled Hard Drives, No Joke
- The Microserver ARMs Race
- Windows 8.1 & the "Legacy" Cloud
- Cloud vs No Cloud